Sunday 20 May 2012

ANOTHER 25KM

19TH MAY 2012

Again the weekend. Originally i had planned for a long run/walk for 40km. According to my plan i would be going west of Lefkoşa, to Güzelyurt, and will return back. It was going to be tough, because i would have been running on that particular road for the first time and secondly the distance was going to be 80km.

However, the saturday morning i came to know that heavy rains were expected on sunday evening and on sunday. I cancelled the idea of going to Güzelyurt on sunday.

But as the saturday evening dragged near, i felt like going out for running. I decided to go to Girne, some 25km from my place.

I started off at around 4pm. The weather was cloudy. I had expected rain, and that was one particular reason of my going out. I wanted to test myself under rain. The route was the same, that i have been following for quite a long time. From Lefkoşa straight road to Boğaz, which is around 10km. Then the steep climbing up, and running down the road waving through the high Five Fingers mountains, down to Girne city, from i would be taking a left turn on the new road and run for about 4 further kilometres, to reach the house of our relatives in Karaoğlanoğlu.

I had gone through the same route last saturday evening. I had had covered that distance in 4,30 hours. That was not a good performance from my point of view, but the reason for that poor performance was that i had become too tired halfway. Later on i had realised that i had not taken proper carbohydrate rich food that day.
So this time, i did not want to repeat the same mistake again.

I wanted to cover the same distance in a much shorter time.

Everything went normal during the first 10km run. I was feeling myself quite fit to run. Last week i had walked most of the time, but this time i was running.

As i started climbing up the hills, after Boğaz turning, with heavy and slow steps, it started raining. Wow, i said to myself. For the first time i was going to run in the rain. Within a short period of time, i was totally wet. I was panting as i reached the top of the mountains. However, the best part, steep downward road, was waiting for me. I started off running. I emptied my bottle. There was no sense of carrying on with the filled bottle. It was raining, i simply extended my tongue out, and felt the rain drops pouring. It was a wonderful experience. I was running, and the people from the passing by cars were passing looking at me. I enjoyed the run.

I passed by the Onar Village hotel, from where i would be passing through the new underfround road and turn right towards the road leading to Karaoğlanoğlu. I looked at the watch. I had reached that point in about 3 hours time, a very good improvement.

The rain had stopped. I continued running.

I reached my destination at 7.45pm. So i covered the 25km long in a 3,45 hours time. A very good performance, from my standard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment