Sunday 3 June 2012

JUST 14KM TODAY

My original plan for this sunday (3rd june 2012) was to go running/walking towards east, to the port city of Gazimağusa (Famagusta). It is at a distance of around 60km from Lefkoşa (Northern Nicosia) where i live.

But the family veto came into my way. They wanted to go out for picnic to a picnic spot which is around 14km from my house. I agreed to their plan. However, i had thought of going there and also returning from there on foot. Since it was sunday so the picnic was planned for noon. That made things a bit difficult for me, because the weather was too hot.

However, i tried to look at the positive side of the situation. It was going to give me a chance to test myself, under difficult condition, under the burning sun, at noon time. Prior to today i had never run at noon time.

I started off from home at 10.30am.


(Just ready to go out for 10km ,in front of my house at 10.30am. My son took these photos for me)

As usual i walked for 2km to reach the main highway. By the time i reached there, i had already realised that it would not be going to be an easy adventure. It was damn too hot.

I started walking north. It would be 10km straight walk on the highway, then a steep climbing for over 2km, to reach the picnic spot. I had already dropped the idea of running. I had decided to walk.

I looked at my watch. In the first hour i had gone for 5km. A performance much below the previous level of previous ones. But i did not want to risk more by running under that scorching heat. However, i decided to run a bit on the patches of the road, where it was going downhill. But even that was not sufficient. The heat was taking its toll. I was walking more and runnign very less.

But as always i was committed to reach my destination. It was around noon when i had finished the first 12km, and reached the bottom of the mountains. From there it was going to be a steep climbing for almost 2 kilometres.

No comments:

Post a Comment