Monday 11 June 2012

26 KILOMETRES THIS SUNDAY

SUNDAY 10TH JUNE 2012

I did like my 80km run/walk episode from Lefkoşa/Güzelyurt and back, a couple of weeks back. I wanted to redo that this sunday. But unfortunately some urgent work came up, so there was no chance for me to remain out of home the whole day.

So i changed my programme. I planned to go out early in the morning, for 26km from Lefkoşa to Alayköy (a few kilometres beyond the village of Alayköy) and back. I wanted to repeat the same in the evening too, to make it a total of 52km in a day.

So i tried to start off early in the morning, because the temperature was due to shoot up during the day. But even i could not start it early. I was on the road at 6am, already an hour behind schedule.

A nice lovely morning that was. I kept on moving ahead very smoothly. I met a couple of bicycle enthusiasts on the road, waving hands to me. In fact, i do meet the cyclists on the road, wherever i go. That shows that competitive cycling is quite popular in Northern Cyprus.

Since i was running second time on the same route, so i was feeling myself at ease.

It was a flat run for quite long distance, as the weather was somewhat cool, the sun was rising on my back.
But once i reached the planned destinatioın, and turned back towards Lefkoşa, i felt the heat of the sun right on my face. It was around 8am, but the heat could be felt on the face. I was wearing my black glasses. I angled the front part of my hat, to have more shadow on my face. But heat was on the rise.

I continued the same route, which i had almost learnt by heart. However this time i had made a small but important change in my technique. In order the minimise the load to be carried, i had left my water bottle, at a shaded place, while going ahead. I picked up the bottle from the same spot, on my way back. Thus i managed not to carry the weight of the bottle for around 10km.

I kept on moving ahead, despite the heat. There was no wind, no clouds, just plain sky and the sun, which was fast going up, in my face. There was no other way for me. Move move and move ahead, so i kept on moving ahead.

I reached home back at 9am. It was 26km in 30 hours. Not a poor performance indeed.

I wanted to repeat the same in evening too,but unfortunately as i was getting ready at around 5.30pm, some guests arrived. So i had had to change my plan. I stayed at home with them. So there was no run in the evening.

The result of the day ...........26km in 180 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment